Sunday, January 25, 2009

Missed Connection: 1/24/09 6:25pm

I've never done one of these before, but it's totally fitting according to recently read statistics this town's most common location for this type of thing.

I'm such a sucker for scruff. Your's is well trimmed. I'm standing on the 59th St platform eager to get on the long A train ride to Nevins, switch to G to Russel's and drink away some of my existing cares and probably pick up a few unnecessary others on the way. I'm gazing at the various faces and then see you from a distance, wait five seconds on another face while you approach, closer. I then do something I rarely do enough to seal the deal--I hold my gaze. You look, slight waver away and then back again, yes, he's looking at you. He seems to waver a moment in realization of this. Keep walking past the blue plywood construction wall that I'm leaning on. I step out, two D's have already past and here's the third. I've turned and walked a little toward where you've paused, catching my glance again, I step out, we're both unsure of the others path, but we not getting on this D. I step out onto the bumpy yellow to look for an approachimg A, just an excuse to glance again, too much glancing? You ask a elder woman with a stick if she needs help I think. The A rolls in on the other side, I step up next to you in the crowd and you let me pass to board the train first, we find our places, standing facing, I keep sipping my chai latte down to nothing, fidgeting. Closed off with my headphones plugged in. The glances continue. The train departs, I pull my gloves off with my teeth, you pull out a thick worn paperback--what are you reading? What are you trying to show me
You have a brand name baseball cap I forget the logo for, a cute jacket, hoodie combo, buttons, stylish. At 34th, seats open and I grab one, you move down, I can now see you're reading Philip Pullman--glances comtime. We want more. I catch a glint of your silver belt buckle, you're wearing blue pumas I think. I remove my hat, you look more. A moment you take off yours and rub your hair, a few stands of gray in the mussed black. We look and make cute shy faces when we're not looking trying not to get caught. But we're already past that waiting to see who'll make the first move if at all. You look down the car and your profile is nice, a little slim for my usual tastes, my thoughts wander as they do to an imagined future where we're wearing sweaters at family Xmas recalling the cute story of how we met so long ago on the a train on that ruddy night. Twentythird is yours as you move toward the door as the train slows, you glance back as you move toward the door and we lock gazes, and bid a farewell with an irresistable smile. I spend the next five minutes smiling feeling a bit better about the randomness of the day.